Top Stories: Prez Politics
- Perry rolls out flat tax, entitlement overhauls – Todd Gillman, Trail Blazers Blog
- Perry's Flat-Tax Proposal Unlikely to Please Anyone MSM Journos Consult – Nancy Cook, National Journal
Our headline is better than theirs. See below.
- Perry tax plan scored dynamically, statically – James Pethokoukis, The American
Key takeaway: Perry’s proposal returns taxes as a percentage of GDP to historic levels (from the ridiculous Obama levels) whether one uses dynamic or static scoring. This is huge.
- Perry's nightmare: WaPo's Rubin – Ben Smith, Politico
“Nightmare” gives the WaPo “conservative” blogger too much credit (especially given their troubles with conservative bloggers). The Perry campaign and readers should treat her as what she is: A megaphone for the Romney oppo-research/smear team. That way, they get an early preview of what’s coming down the pike from a well-connected megaphone, and nobody has to pretend it’s anything close to journalism.
- Texas Governor's Media Strategy: Ignore Texas Media – Emily Ramshaw, Texas Tribune
Why not? Most are hostile to the governor and to fiscal conservatism (witness the $4 billion education cut lie popularized by the Texas lockstep political media), and have a regional reach at best (or, in the case of partnerships with the New York Times that expand the reach of a niche website, only reinforce suspicions about ideological leanings).
- Perry takes sides in Ohio union fight after Romney dodges issue – Peter Hamby, CNN.com
- Cain electrifies crowd at Houston-area tea party rally – Cindy George, Houston Chronicle
- Crisis Pregnancy Centers Take City to Court: Lawsuit claims city ordinance violates free speech – Jordan Smith, Austin Chronicle
This should be a slam-dunk for the crisis pregnancy centers versus those fine, tolerant, diverse Austin muni leaders who are imposing speech conditions upon them only.
- Capitol fight over public pensions previewed – Kate Alexander, Austin American-Statesman
Previewed is right. Too bad the AAS didn’t devote a bit more space to this looming concern.
- Texas Supreme Court hears challenge to business tax – Kate Alexander, Austin American-Statesman
- AG: West Texas utility subject to public records law – Steve Miller, Texas Watchdog
- Dewhurst, Leppert Evenly Matched in Campaign Funds – Elizabeth Titus, Texas Tribune
- Use common sense, not lobby sense, on Prop 2 – Weston Hicks, AgendaWise Reports
- Local bond elections feed our debt – Weston Hicks, AgendaWise Reports