- Guest Column: Perry as a (Very Conservative) Democrat – Mark Jones, Texas Tribune
To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the analysis suggests Perry did not leave the Democratic Party so much as it left him, although compared to Reagan, Perry was (ideologically) much less of a Democrat to begin with.
- Rick Perry’s passion for states’ rights – Michael Gerson, The Washington Post
- Improving Higher Education in Texas – Jeff Sandefer, Transforming Education.
It’s time for the debate about reforming higher education in Texas to move past disparaging professors or demonizing reformers…
Well, yes, but that storyline is so much easier for status-quo advocates and sympathetic Texas journos!
- Rep. Wayne Christian Interview on SBOE, Abortion Funding – Texas Legislative Update
- Beverly Woolley will retire at the end of her term – Patricia Kilday Hart, Chron Texas Politics
- Perry ahead in Florida poll – Ashley Killough, CNN.com
- DPS mum on Perry travel costs – Chuck Lindell, Austin American-Statesman
Does it seem like we are seeing a variant of this story every day from the state’s lockstep political media?
- Texas Senate Race Spending: A Look at This Point In Previous Cycles – Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog
- Cornyn: GOP sought "leverage" in debt-ceiling showdown – Dave Michaels, Dallas Morning News
“Sought?” Has a deal been reached?
- Time for posturing is over – Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, Politico
Actually, the time is just about over for a U.S. Senator from Texas who thinks the “Gang of Six” proposal is mostly good enough. Republicans will need to pick well in the upcoming primary.
- Tracking the Money: Presidential Campaigns and Texas – Becca Aaronson, Texas Tribune
- Complaints about electric service in Texas have soared since deregulation – Jack Smith, Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- Prejudicial articles on Higher Ed reform – Weston Hicks, AgendaWise Reports